Tuesday, December 6, 2011

And what will I sacrifice?

Sunday afternoon, while driving back from leading a training workshop in Eastern, NC, I had some quality time to think and pray about funding the trip to South Africa.  Honestly, I was kinda squirming in my seat. Again, I was feeling very uncomfortable asking friends and family to invest in my journey, so I began praying to Jesus asking him, "What do you want me to do?"

Jesus began NOT with "write the letter".  He clearly asked me to look deeper.

"Lisa, don't DARE ask others for help unless you are willing to sacrifice yourself."

So for the rest of the journey home,  I tried to answer the question... "What will I sacrifice?"  I thought He was talking about sacrificing material possessions... raising a little dough by selling things of value... of value to me or actual monetary value.  I have a lot of stuff, but most of my "stuff" is just that - "stuff" and it wouldn't generate much cold hard cash.  But I was beginning to realize Jesus was asking me to sacrifice some of the "stuff" for a much bigger reason than cash.

God gave me this very challenge many years ago when my son Ian and his youth group were raising funds for a mission trip to Ireland.  God asked me to donate my beloved sailboat to a silent auction.  What? Are you kidding me? I loved my sailboat because it represented something I loved to do - sail! When I finally realized I was selfishly hanging onto it when selling it would help our Youth Group get to Ireland to support reconciliation camps for Protestant and Catholic teenagers, it was easy. I let it go!  I can surely do that again.

So yesterday, I looked around my house, thinking what else can I let go?

  •  I considered my baby grand piano, my violin, my banjo and my guitar.  I love to play them all, but I don't - at least, not very often.  I found out it might take too long to sell the piano, but I'm totally looking into it! (Anyone out there in the Raleigh area looking for a beautiful elegant baby grand for your living room? Call me.)
  • Gold -  I hear the price of gold is at its highest ever.  After watching Rock Center Monday night and seeing what poor people in Africa have to do to mine gold, I'm thinking it's something I shouldn't want anymore. I'm looking into selling a few pieces or more, if needed. 
  • Yard Sale -  I know it's Christmas and winter is coming and it might not be a good time for a yard sale, but I have lots of stuff that would raise some cash.  
BUT as I was writing this post, these word of Jesus rushed into my thoughts and immediately made me hang my head in shame.

 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

"WHAT will I sacrifice?"  Really Lisa? How arrogant? How petty?  Clearly, Jesus  clearly doesn't care about, nor want, my "stuff". He wants my heart, my will and my devotion.

He just wants to be sure my stuff is not in the way.


Go Ahead - Google it!