Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Loose ends

Today was my cleaning day. My goal was to complete all the housework and laundry for the week in one day.  I figure if our housekeeper could do the cleaning in two or three hours, surely I could get both done in a day.

I could easily break the tasks up and get them accomplished over a few days, but honestly, I dislike loose ends. Even more so, I don't like wasting time or procrastination. In my warped little mind, I think if I get it all done TODAY, I can play tomorrow.  And I really do like to play!

My reward to myself would be to get it all done, then make myself a nice cold coffee and read until dinner time. After my little reading retreat, I would walk around the house and admire, and marvel, that my house was...drum roll... still clean!  (I am so easy to entertain. Serious, that's all it takes to make my day!)  And then to really reward myself, I would spent tomorrow sleeping in, going to the gym, shop or whatever else I decide might be fun.

AND to further motivate myself, I decided it wouldn't count if I didn't get it ALL done in a day.  So I got crackin'!

I was successful cleaning all the rooms in the house, but as I worked through room by room, I found things that needed attention.

Ugh! Mold growing around a closed air vent sent me running for the Lysol and Mildew Remover. I surely couldn't ignore that! Mildew is a southern curse and I wanted to be sure I nipped that in the bud, so I check ALL the vents before moving on.

I found a button missing on Frank's pants and sewing on a new one wouldn't take more than a few minutes. It ended up taking ten minutes, but while hunting for the button, I realized there was a lot of change on the dresser. Was going to count it, but I decided it just wasn't enough to worry with, so I kept on cleaning. (See I'm not totally ADHD, 24/7... I CAN focus.)

I'm tickled to say I ironed pillowcases and my hubby's slacks without any medical emergencies. (Sometimes the iron and my arm get all crossed up resulting in second degree burns, but today I sailed through the task without incident.)

Vacuumed, dusted, cleaned the bathroom top to bottom. I was really making headway, but had to stop for lunch.  Those who know me will realize me stopping for lunch is a good thing, because I usually keep working, forgetting hunger.  Yep, when I have a goal to meet, I can be driven.  But I stopped, and fixed a nice salad which gave me plenty of fuel to finish the job.

With the floor sparkling, sheets changed, fresh towels on the rack, I was really making headway!

Before rolling the trash can off the street, I checked the mail.  There was my paycheck, so I dropped everything to drive to the bank and deposit it.  Although tempted, I didn't run any other errands. I returned home and completed "poop patrol" in the side yard. (It's a gross, gross job, but stepping in it is even grosser.)

Then it hit me.  The laundry is not going to be finished today.  You see I'm a tad, well... picky. I insist that my jeans drip dry.  I've got pretty long legs and the dryer will turn my jeans into high waters even on low heat. I suddenly realized the jeans wouldn't be dry until tomorrow morning.  And even if I got everything else in the right drawer or closet today, TECHNICALLY, I couldn't meet my goal until tomorrow. Rats! rats! And I was so close, too!

But then I stopped myself and thought. Why do I DO that to myself?  Why do I push, especially when there's no reason?  I reminded myself, it will only take thirty minutes tops to put alway the drip dry items tomorrow morning. I'll have the REST of the day to play.  What WAS the point, Lisa? Huh?

I know the answer.  I just don't LIKE it.  Here it is.  As a Kidmin (Children's Minister)  everyday is a series of loose ends - a self-regenerating never ending list of goals and tasks. Getting anything done in a day is something we rarely ever experience.

We can NEVER finish recruiting. If we ever up with a full staff, someone's going to get sick or worse, move and we are back recruiting.  And then its time to recruit Vacation Bible School volunteers. Life is just one more volunteer before heaven.  I mean Kidmins will literally be asking St. Peter to wait a sec. so we can make just one more call.

Kidmins canNOT keep a clean office. About the time we clear out the clutter of Fall Sunday School start up and Bible presentations, the Christmas activities arrive. As soon as we get Christmas packed away, Vacation Bible School materials begin arriving. (Matter of fact, I'm not even SURE I could trust a Kidmin whose office is always tidy, It's just not natural!)

Yep, it's all those loose ends in ministry making me mental over housework.  Don't get me wrong.  I really DO accept that ministry life is ongoing and never ending. Matter of fact, that's one of the things that makes Children's Ministry so exciting. It's NEVER boring!

But if even just once in a while, it would feel so GOOD to tie up a loose end or two.

But, I know that's not my reality, nor my what fills my heart with joy.  I know its just fine to let something go another day, or week, if all those loose ends represent children growing ever closer to Jesus, every day, every week and every year. Matter of fact, it kinda makes me happy to think of it that way.

So, I'll let this day's little obsession ride.  I'll enjoy the rest of this day and tomorrow... regardless of the loose ends in my life.

Eccesiastes 3: 12-13 "I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. 13 That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God.14 I know that everything God does will endure forever;"

Go Ahead - Google it!