Sunday, November 20, 2011

The last place you should catch.....

This sign was in a Chapel Hill, NC shuttle bus.   I do believe its post worthy.  It's ironic there is more truth to it than we'd like to admit.

One place we shouldn't catch hell is church and church is certainly not a place to give it either.  At least, that's the way I see it.  But the truth is we do both.

Sadly, I've ministered to those scorched and burned by the brethren.

  • parents burned by unsolicited advice on how to "fix " their unruly children. 
  • people in a happy and healthy second marriage passed over for church leadership positions because they survived divorce. 
  • families struggling with teenage alcoholism or drug addiction shunned by others.
  • hard working church volunteers unjustly criticized and overburdened. 
Need I go on? 

I'm sure each of us has created as much heat as we've experienced. I'm as guilty as  anyone else.  I know I spewed words of judgment when I should have been  listening and understanding.  I'm sure at least a few people felt slighted or unjustly treated by me.  I try to be cool, but I fail too.

But I'm tired of seeing innocent, honest, kind and gentle folk leave the church never to return because church was more like Satan's home than God's sanctuary.

So what can we do to turn it all around?

I don't have all the answers, but I think I know where I can start. Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!"  In other words, stop trying to be the mouth of Christ and instead be the hands and feet of Christ.

Makes it hard to throw rocks or put my foot in my mouth.


Go Ahead - Google it!