Monday, November 7, 2011

Happy Birthday, Ian!

This Thursday, my baby, Ian, turns 28 years old.  We celebrated with him last night because he's working Thursday night- his actual birth date.

Most would consider working on one's birthday a bummer. Ian is one of the blessed folk who'd differ. He LOVES his work, his employer and his team mates.  You could say the job was tailor-made for Ian or else Ian was tailor-made for the job.

So this Thursday, he will celebrate the day he was born, making a living using his God-given gifts. What could be better?  In this economy, simply having a job is huge. Having a job you love is a huge blessing!

Did I mention my son ALSO has a lovely girlfriend, his own apartment and tons of friends living around him? Some of those friends he's had since the day he was born.

Ironically, the day he was born, I was only 28 years old. (The very same age as Ian.) I look back to the day the doctors handed that squirmy little miracle to me for the very first time. As I spoke his name for the first time, "Ian Daniel Burney," I whispered a prayer that God would guide us to be good parent and bless Ian... just bless him.

I was way too young to know what ELSE to ask or do! Thank heavens, God did. 

So what gift did Frank and I give our child of so many, many blessings?

Why that was easy!

We gave him an eight place setting of flatware, super hero coasters, a sushi dinner and a big hug!

You see our gracious God has given him everything else....


 "Start children off on the way they should go, 
   and even when they are old they will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6




Our younger son, Ian, builds jet engines for GE Aviation in the Research Triangle. Instead of me trying to explain what he does, I'd rather show you this video...

Go Ahead - Google it!